Friday, January 9, 2009

First smiles & meals at the table



God has provided rest and energy and just a general sense of happiness with being at home with the children this week. M's 2 month well-baby appointment was on Monday. He weighs 13 pounds, 2 ounces and is in the 75th percentile for his weight, height and head circumference.

He is healthy in every way, and such a happy baby. He likes it when I sing and talk to him, and he loves to initiate conversations with me by cooing or smiling.


Here's a William Blake poem that so aptly describes him. I found it in a book called Rhymes and Sons for the Very Young by Ian Beck. It's right up my English-major alley...only now I can just enjoy the poem and not have to analyze its cadence or something like that!

Infant Joy

"I have no name;
I am but two days old."
What shall I call thee?
"I happy am;
Joy is my name."
Sweet joy befall thee!

Pretty joy!
Sweet joy but two days old,
Sweet joy I call thee.
Tho dost smile,
I sing the while.
Sweet joy befall thee!

N is making the transition to the big table for his meals, which is fun and messy all at the same time. We recently discovered the power of the corn muffin to persuade him to try a variety of green vegetables that he had previously sworn off. The brotherly jealousy is starting to display itself a little bit more. I find myself telling N, "I love you both!" when he wants me to stop talking to the baby or something like that. It is hard to be dethroned...I know...but it does get easier with time. Eventually you actually enjoy your siblings' friendship!






1 comment:

Van's Gifts said...

You have 2 wonderful boys! They are both cute. I love how M is smiling on his 2nd photo.

Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards,
Van's Gifts
Gift Baskets