Sunday, December 13, 2009

Running reflections

A year ago, Mark was a newborn baby about to celebrate his first Christmas. I was feeling the fatigue of taking care of an infant and toddler. In the back of my mind, I knew I wanted to start running again, once Mark was sleeping through the night - for the satisfaction of achieving a goal, as well as preserving my sanity!

So, with Greg's blessing, sometime in February I put on my old running shoes and hit the road in the dark, cold hours of the early morning. I had to be back before Mark's first nursing session, so I was motivated to keep a steady pace. It was a slow, somewhat painful start, but I built up to running a couple of miles fairly comfortably.

Then Dad and Melanie suggested I run a 5K race in Florence, SC, with them in March. I think I had only run that distance once before the race. Mom pushed the boys in the stroller while we ran it, and I remember the thrill of crossing the finish line.

After that race, we started thinking about a half-marathon. We set my birthday as the goal for being able to run 6 miles. We decided on the Thunder Road half-marathon in Charlotte for several reasons: it would give us plenty of time to train, it would be local, and the temps would be nice and cool for distance running.

The summer and fall of building up a mileage base was full of challenges and thrills. I had to miss a few weeks of training due to ITBS and a virus.
I couldn't believe it the first time I ran 10 miles without stopping. I loved taking in the scenery and sunrises each morning. Throughout the process of building a running base, Melanie and I were able to build an even stronger and deeper sisterhood as we ran together at least twice a week. Greg sacrificed countless weekend mornings to care for the boys while I was training, and he always greeted me with a smile and often a hot breakfast when I returned.

During my long runs, I enjoyed extended time to mediate and pray. Sometimes I found myself rehearsing Psalms or other scriptures. Other times, a hymn or praise song would come to mind. And other runs I spent repenting or bringing a problem before the Lord.
On the morning of the race, I read Daily Strength for Daily Needs. One of the scriptures in that day's devotion was Psalm 119:32, which says, "I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." I thought that was an appropriate scripture for race day.

Melanie and Rick drove us to the Charlotte Convention Center, where we connected with Bailey, registered and checked our bags. Things went very smoothly except for a brief moment when Dad became separated from our group during the singing of the national anthem. After being reunited (a small miracle and answer to prayer) we were off!

The course was fairly hilly, although I was distracted by the company and conversation. It was cold, but not cold enough for the gloves I was wearing, so I ended up stuffing them in my running tights. Running down Randolph and Queens Roads was beautiful. People all along the course were friendly and encouraging. The very last hill was the hardest. Crossing the finish line holding hands with Dad, Melanie and Bailey was the best. Hugs from Greg, Nathan and Mark when we got home were my real reward. I love seeing Nathan wearing my medal around the house.

Recovery was a little tougher than I expected with some abdominal cramps I haven't had before. I was glad that Nanny and Greg were around to help take care of Nathan and Mark that day. I am so grateful for their help the entire time I have been in training - I could not have done this without their support, and that is no exaggeration.

Sore feet and all, I would definitely do this again - and sooner rather than later! Maybe even a full marathon at some (yet to be determined) point in my life. I look at myself in the mirror and think, "Did I really do that?" Yes, by God's grace, I did. While I am not the most impressive runner around - many people are much faster and more athletic and more disciplined than I will ever be - I feel that running is a gift from God. Not so much a talent as an opportunity that He has allowed me during this season of my life. I am thankful for it, and as I move into the new year, I pray that God will set me free to run in steady obedience to him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A - first I want to tell you that you are an exceptional writer. I just love the way you crafted your words together for this lovely post. Secondly, congratulations on completing such a challenging goal! I have certainly never run that many miles in a row myself! :) I commend you for dedicating your earliest morning hours of what could be precious sleep to reaching your goal, all while giving the glory to God. I am so proud of you, friend!

Love,
B

gs said...

Congratulations on finishing the race! What a fabulous experience because of your discipline in training. Thanks for sharing!