Thursday, February 10, 2011

Stuff of Life


I have set the little artists in my home free to enjoy their crayons, glue sticks and safety scissors at their own pleasure. Yes, we finally have an "art table" in the den. They like it a lot, especially the cutting part. Mark is so pleased with himself every time he makes a cut in a piece of paper.


So far, so good, e
xcept for the fact that Mark has been doing some taste-testing. I found him nibbling on an almond nut (we had been playing with nuts earlier) and his teeth were caked in green. I thought for a minute he had eaten a rotten almond! Then I put two and two together and figured he'd eaten a green crayon and was starting in on the nut.

At that point, I sent the boys up to their rooms for quiet time. Mark has given up his nap except for about once or twice a week. He's been pretty good about playing with his toys quietly if he's not going to nap, but today he was back to his old tricks. When I opened Mark's door, I saw that every drawer was open, and all of his bed toys and blankets were on top of the changing table. The evidence suggests that he had been climbing again.


As we were putting away his clothes and toys, he looks up at me and smiles and says, "Mama, I get my bathing suits out. Maybe go swimming?" Oh, Mark. So, we all got downstairs, and after cleaning up the mess we'd left from this morning, I started shooting a video of the boys at the art table. While I was filming, I saw that Mark was (once again) eating a crayon. I stopped the video, started to question my judgment, and packed up the crayons, at least for right now. We put on socks, shoes, jackets and hats, and headed outside.


They are much happier out in the great outdoors.


Always.

No comments: