Friday, January 22, 2010

Lock-In


We have had a series of illnesses this week. The fun started Saturday when Mark had dirty diapers "that make you weep," as Aunt Melanie put it. By Sunday night, the boys and I were vomiting. Greg came down with it Monday evening. Once that seemed to pass, the boys remained very cranky, ran a little fever, had trouble sleeping, wouldn't eat anything...generally sick. I took them to the doctor yesterday to find out that they both have ear infections and pinkeye, plus Mark has chest congestion that requires a breathing treatment and steroids. They are both on antibiotics and seem to be improving already. Mark's medicines make him really hyper and moody, so he's like a little Tasmanian devil running around the house.


But, now I am sick again, this time with a painful sore throat and body aches. Motrin is my friend today. You know, the things that keep running through my mind (when I am not totally feeling sorry for myself and wishing this would go away for good) are:

1) I live in the U.S., in a warm, safe home with medical care readily available, not in Haiti. What a blessing. I have no idea what it means to suffer.

2) Whatever ideals I have held about serving the poor alongside Mother Teresa's nuns in Calcutta, India are just that - ideals - taking care of sick people is HARD WORK.

3) Nursing my own children is just as important as providing relief to countless others suffering around the world, even though I am always tempted to devalue it.

Well, this post has taken enough time away from tending the little ones, so let me scoot and address the dispute in the background.

No comments: