Thursday, June 17, 2010

Growing Up

Nathan has been conquering a lot of fears lately. Last week, we rode the train downtown to visit the library. He screamed his head off for about 10 minutes until he figured out I was going to be with him the whole time and he was really okay. He did need to sit in my lap the whole way there, but on the way home he told me he liked riding on the train.

Then this week, we went to the swimming pool. We haven't been around pools very much. Last summer, he screamed and cried and told us he didn't want to go in the ocean or any pool whatsoever. So the pool visit was rather dramatic for the first hour. He had a full-on tantrum and was very upset about even getting his toes in the water. Then, after a bit of juice and some crackers, his bravery came out and he was indeed able to get in and enjoy being wet.

Well, today, we rode the train again. We went to a water park/splash pad on The Green where fountains turn on and off intermittently and squirt the children. Guess who quietly sat beside me all the way downtown? And guess who walked right into the water fountain area and loved every minute of the wet fun?

He was so sweet on the ride home, telling me that he liked riding the train with me. Then, right before quiet time, he announced very nicely, "I can go upstairs all by myself for quiet time, Mama. I don't need you to read me a book. I don't need you for anything. I can do it myself. If you need anything, just let me know and I'll come and help you."

Have the tables turned so suddenly? Is the line between childishness and maturity so thin?

I, on the other hand, seem to have lost ground in my mommy planning and maneuvering skills. I forgot to pack a towel to dry the children off after this outing, so I borrowed one from my friend. Then, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get Nathan, Mark and myself all on the train, plus fold down the stroller and carry it along with my backpack and lunch bag. Oh well.

I felt like I was moving in slow motion, but I sure did enjoy the ride back to our train stop with both boys on my lap. Mark snuggled on my shoulder until the seat next to us opened up and he could sit by himself. Then it was Nathan's turn to put his arms around my neck and cuddle.

Dear, sweet boys. You teach me something new every day. I just hope you don't suffer too much for my shortcomings, big and little.

No comments: