Monday, January 30, 2012

Delight, Not Duty

"Delight, not duty." This phrase has been on my mind ever since our pastor used it in his New Year's Day sermon. It has me thinking about the way I approach life, and especially motherhood.

So many times, I fall into a cumbersome (and martyr-like) way of doing my daily tasks, turn the duties into drudgery, and miss the blessings. I am praying that God would fill me with joy and delight this year.


To that end, we started a new thing around here this weekend. I took Nathan to the park on Saturday. No pictures, just a new appreciation for his unique personality and style. Seems like Nathan was needing a break from his little brother toward the end of the week.


I am hearing more and more things like, "Mark, don't follow me around all the time!" Probably goes along with being 5. The park date was a great break from brotherly squabbles.

We also did some good cooking to spice things up at the table. I prepared a strawberries and cream trifle. I had been so excited to try one ever since Kate made a trifle dessert for me in Oklahoma.


Greg answered his Louisiana cravings and made crawfish etouffee on Sunday afternoon.


So delicious! Since I love Louisiana cooking so much, I am attempting red beans and rice today. The recipe calls for using a ham hock to season the beans. I was a little scared to purchase this meat product, but decided it's probably worth the gross-factor. Hope so! We'll let the natives vote after dinner.

2 comments:

Aunt J said...

Yum!
I use ham hocks a couple of times a year. A MUST in some soups!

Staci said...

The Red Beans and Rice got a THUMBS up at our house. C had TWO helpings!!! :) And I NEED to get that trifle recipe...SOOO good! Thank you sweet friend :)