Monday, November 21, 2011

Friend for Life

She came for a quick visit, but she brought with her a childhood of memories. More than thirty years ago, God brought Monica into my life.


It was because of our mothers' friendship that we spent our earliest birthdays together. From those days on, our friendship blossomed into a life of its own.

And I am so thankful to be able to say that it is still growing.

I found myself transported through time as we spent a couple of days watching our children giggling and playing (and raking leaves) together.

The four of them had their moments of hurt feelings and sulky faces, but by and large, they loved each other.


It was like catching a little glimpse of Monica and myself so many years ago, laughing and playing and figuring out what made the other one tick.

It's hard to put into words just how well I know and love Monica. We find certain things hilarious just because of the history of funny moments we've shared. She taught my kids to tell knock-knock jokes this weekend - so like Monica to infuse any home with giggles and good humor!

A shared childhood is a beautiful treasure, and it has served us well in the challenges and joys of adulthood. I love the roots I share with Monica, and the way our lives are still entwined over the miles. I love how she loves my kids, and I love hers like they're my own. What a precious early Thanksgiving gift.

No comments: