Monday, November 28, 2011

Messy (Cyber) Monday

It's the Monday after Thanksgiving and the house is partially decorated for Christmas. I am having to tell myself it's okay that I left some ornaments in the box this year, and I still need to display the nativity and Advent candles.

The compulsive part of me really wants to have everything in its place and have a perfect plan for all of the beautiful, wonderful, special and fun things we'll do in these days leading up to Christmas.

I like the way Thanksgiving was relatively idealistic this year. The weather was pretty, the kids were generally well-mannered, and I had lots of time to enjoy the company of my family.

I even had a good hair day.


Nanny made Nathan smile after some parking lot tears.


PopPop charmed Mark into behaving at the dinner table.


And then he pushed the boys as high as the sky.


Mom, Aunt Linda and I relaxed on the deck and chatted.


But today is Monday.

I don't like the mess of real life sometimes. I get weary of correcting children who don't listen, sass me, jump off of beds, and pee-pee in plastic lids while at other people's houses. (True story - Mark did it this morning.)

Just today, I screamed at the kids when they slammed their doors after being sent to their rooms as punishment for hitting each other. It didn't fit my idealistic image of how children should behave during the holidays. I want kids who act peaceful, kind, loving, agreeable.

In that moment, I was irritated by their expression of anger. My expression was far worse, though, because I have had years to grow in self-control. I should know better.

I look at myself and see how ungracious, impatient and short-sighted I am. I need to rest in Christ's perfection and grace.

These verses often come to mind when I am confronted by my personal failings. I am glad to have them at my frequent disposal. It's good to know that as often as I mess up, He always understands and is quick to forgive.

The Lord is merciful and gracious; he is slow to get angry and full of unfailing love.
He will not constantly accuse us, nor remain angry forever.
He has not punished us for all our sins, nor does he deal with us as we deserve.
For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth.
He has removed our rebellious acts away from us as the east is from the west.
The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him.
For he understands how weak we are; he knows we are only dust.

Psalm 103:8-14

No comments: